Heading out this summer for a road trip? Us too! While often times driving seems like the more affordable option, purchasing gas while on a road trip still takes a chunk of change and can really eat into your vacation budget.
Thankfully, our sponsors at Les Jacobs Ford have some great advice when it comes to making the most out of each and every tank of gas!
- Drive Smoothly: Aggressive driving wastes fuel—especially while driving at highway speeds. So accelerate smoothly, brake softer and earlier, and stay in one lane while it’s safe to do so. Not only do these driving techniques save fuel, they can also prolong the life of your brakes and tires.
- Only use air conditioning while on the highway: Your fuel economy drops by up to 15% when you use the air conditioner at low speeds. So if it isn’t too hot, turn off the A/C around town, and roll down your windows instead. However, at 55 mph or higher, using the A/C is preferable to open windows for two reasons: Your vehicle has much lower wind resistance with the windows closed. And because the engine makes more power at higher revs, it’s able to run accessories like the A/C compressor more efficiently.
- Cruise Control: Activating your cruise helps you save fuel in two ways: It keeps you from mindlessly driving at faster—and less fuel-efficient—speeds. And it maintains a constant speed, and won’t use additional fuel while accelerating.
- Combine Trips: Your engine is more efficient when it’s warmed up. Many short trips that start with a cool engine will use more fuel than a single, longer trip. So when you have to drive for errands, get as many accomplished as you can in one trip to maximize your fuel economy.
- All the little things add up: The technicians at Les Jacobs Ford are trained to optimize your fuel economy. Along with the above-mentioned maintenance, they can change worn fuel filters and spark plugs, perform wheel alignments, and inspect your exhaust and emissions systems. Together, all of these vehicle maintenance procedures can improve your mileage by up to 25%.
Have a question about an item on the list or need Darrin and his crew to take a look at something? They would be happy to help! You can give them a call at 1.888.259.3009 or read more about Les Jacobs Ford by clicking here.