This may sound crazy, but one thing we dread the most about the kids going to back to school is figuring out what to pack them for lunch! Our kiddos eat at school about half of the time and pack their lunch about half the time. Even with having a few days “off” from packing lunches, we still run out of ideas!
We asked other local moms what they were packing for their kids and here is what we found out! We hope this insight helps you as much as it has helped us!
- “My son likes turkey and ham wraps w/ spinach and shredded cheese! Sometimes we’ll switch it up with a sandwich that’s the same as the wrap. Also if there are leftovers from supper he doesn’t mind eating them cold, we’ll do that too! With that stuff though he likes yogurts, apple slices, carrots, or sometimes grapes. I try not to do the same thing all time, and prepping lunches the night before reeeeeally helps!”
- “I do the $1 lunchables then send a fruit cup, cheese (he loves the laughing cow soft cheese) and some chips with a sweet treat. He usually gets juice for lunch too. I really focus on good meals for breakfast and dinner and over the weekend so he can have what he wants during the week.”
- “Yesterday my son said… Mom, this year can I have advanced lunches? Like more that a wet sandwich, a cheese stick and chips? Ha!!”
- “I’m a mom of 3, ages 17, 14 and 11. If I’m packing a kids lunch, I pack a sandwich, chips or veggie straws, carrots and 2-3 of the following: apples, grapes, cantaloupe, watermelon or cherries. There are times when I’ve been known to buy Lunchables just for the convenience of it. Especially if their going on a field trip ect.”
- ” I definitely go the bento box route for my youngest. Olives, carrots and ranch, goldfish, fruit, lunch meat and a cheese stick, pickles, a sweet treat, almonds, peanuts or cashews, leftover spaghetti noodles with a sprinkle of parm, popcorn….”
- “I am doing the bento boxes this year for my daughter. She likes cheese, crackers, cold cuts or sliced chicken or ham, carrots and ranch, fruit. Looking forward to some other ideas. Both of my daughters have asked for thermos mugs for hot dishes. Soup, noodles, rice. They both like almost anything wrapped in a tortilla.”
- “Olivia’s favorite is hard boiled eggs and a pancake!”
Thanks for the feedback, friends! We always love hearing from you! Happy lunch-box packing!