By Kelsey Fields, fitness enthusiast and boy mom to Max and baby boy on the way
It’s heeeerrrrrreeeeee. I’m sure I don’t have to remind you, but swimsuit season is just around the corner. We SWMO mommas love our time at Table Rock Lake, and there is nothing better than feeling fully confident in your own skin. There’s only one problem. How are you supposed to feel confident if you can’t fit a workout into your super busy schedule? Well, it’s easy when it only takes ten minutes!
My weekdays look a little something like this:
- 6:45 a.m. Morning alarm clock goes off (My two year old, Max)
- 7:30 a.m. Feed Max
- 8:00 a.m. Bathe Max-syrup left on a two year old attracts all sorts of nasty things
- 8:30 a.m. Keep Max alive and entertained-mostly alive, but hopefully entertained
- 12:00 p.m. Try and do schoolwork while Max (fingers crossed) naps
- 2:00 p.m.-? Countdown the minutes until my husband gets home
- 5:30 p.m. ME TIME!! (work out)
My life revolves around my little man. We have a blast together, but some days I just don’t have time to make it to the gym, or the energy to get in an hour long workout. For days when I can’t even leave the house, I have a go-to high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout that gives you the most bang for your buck.
HIIT is a workout that alternates between short, intense bursts of activity and rest. The concept is simple: put in your maximum effort for a short time period, rest, and repeat.
Top reasons why you should have a loving relationship with HIIT:
- It’s Efficient–According to research, you can achieve more progress in a mere 15 minutes of interval training (done three times a week) than the girl jogging on the treadmill for an hour. You read that right.
- There’s no equipment necessary–All you need is your own bodyweight.
- You can do it anywhere–Your kitchen, backyard, the gym, ANYWHERE!
- You’ll burn more fat–after completing a HIIT workout, your body continues to burn fat long after finishing, resulting in a higher calorie burn for up to two hours afterward. It’s a pretty science-y reason, but in layman’s terms, your body’s repair system is working in overdrive to re-oxygenate your muscles.
Sign me up, right? To ramp up your fat burners, try my favorite HIIT workout from the comfort of your home, 3 days a week, and watch your body transform for swimsuit season. For beginner mommas, do each exercise at high intensity for 20 seconds followed by ten seconds of rest. To turn up the heat, complete the workout twice.
When she is not working out, you will find her cheering on the Denver Broncos and spending time with her family. She is wife to Blake and mom to busy 2 year-old son Max and is expecting her second son in April.
SWMO Moms fitness category, which is full of healthy tips for all women, is sponsored by Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Fitness Festival. Their mission is to celebrate health and wellness, outdoor adventures and wildlife conservation in the beauty of the Ozarks. Programs are designed to include activities for people of all ages, backgrounds, fitness levels and areas of interest. CLICK HERE for more information or give them a call at 417.873.5214.