Happy Thanksgiving Eve! I am sure you are currently slaving away in your kitchen getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Whether you have one or multiple Thanksgiving meals to attend we know you are busy. If your like us, you can’t wait to dive right in to Thanksgiving dinner, however, don’t love gaining weight during the holidays. I once read that on average people gain between 7-10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas! Eek! I don’t know about you, but I sure don’t want to do that!
Here are a few tips to keep the turkey off your hips!
- Remember the holiday season isn’t all about the food. It’s for family and giving thanks. The food is a bonus, but it’s not the only reason for the season.
- Don’t arrive starving. Just like it’s not a good idea to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Try not to arrive at the holiday dinners starving. Pack some almonds or a piece of fruit to eat on your way.
- Don’t feel you have to indulge at each get-together. If you have multiple lunches/dinners in one day, it doesn’t mean you have to eat the entire meal at each place. If you have a couple plan it out where you might eat a few appetizers at one, the entree at another and maybe a small dessert at the next.
- Don’t graze while waiting for the main course. If you are at a party/get-together that has a lot of appetizers don’t stand by that table. Have a few little items and move away.
- Don’t skimp out on your workout routine. We know it is hard to find the time, but make sure to squeeze in a little workout even if you don’t have time for a full workout. Remember any workout is better than no workout.
- Remember to relax and enjoy the season. The biggest indicator of weight gain is stress! You don’t need to go overboard. People will remember the time they had, not how the table was decorated or if you used linen or paper napkins.
Enjoy this holiday season, have fun, and don’t stress about the small stuff. Take a step back to take in the moment. Because it’s the little moments that mean the most and if you are too busy and stressed out you will miss out on what really matters!!